Need to share an item with an external reviewer, stakeholder, or another external person who is not included in your account??
You can use shareable links to do this with ease!
Team members who have access to items can create a shareable link directly from the items page, then share that link with any external users.
This means you can include non GatherContent users in the creation of your Content, to help you speed up the content operations process and continue to manage everything within a single platform.
You can even choose the access level your guest users have to the item under the sharable link settings!
This guide includes the following:
- How to grant permission to users and create shareable links
- Enabling and disabling a link
- Setting a password
- Access levels
- Add a comment
- Commenting as a guest user
- How to share multiple item links together
How to grant permission to users and create shareable links
To get started creating a sharable link, users will need to have the following permission granted to their role:
These permissions can be found by heading to People and Groups > Roles and Permissions. See Using Roles and Permissions to learn more about managing user roles
To create a shareable link, open an item, click the 3 dots at the top corner next to your avatar, then click 'share' to create a link and choose the permission levels for that link.
Enabling and disabling a link
The link is automatically enabled, which allows you to share the link immediately.
You can disable the link at any time to revoke access to the item…
Once disabled, any internal users with no access to that item or any external users you've shared the link with will no longer be able to view the item.
Setting a password
You can set a password to add a layer of security to your link. Setting a password will mean anybody you share the link with will need the password to view the item.
To set a password, toggle this option on. You'll then see a text input, allowing you to enter a password. Once you hit save, the link will then be password protected.
Once a password has been set, you can disable it again by toggling this option off.
Shareable links come with a set of predefined levels of access that you can choose from:
Select this level of access if you only want people with the link to be able to view the content. This level of access does not allow them to see or make comments.
This level of access is perfect if you want people to be able to see and make comments on the item.
Note that in all cases, people will not be able to access the comment history of an item from a shareable link, so any resolved comments not be accessible.
Select this level of access if you'd like people with the link to be able to view and make comments, and edit the content.
This disables the link and prevents people you've shared the link with from being able to view the item.
Add a comment
Adding comments is a perfect way to allow users, viewing items via shareable links, to have conversations by adding comments to items.
When a link has comments enabled…
… any user with the link will have two ways to add a comment. They can either;
- Log into their existing account
- Create a guest account
Once logged in the user will then be able to start a conversation by adding a new comment or comment on any existing conversations.
Please note: Guest user accounts are only required so you have a way to track which changes are made by each guest or full user.
Commenting as a guest user
Comments made by a guest user will appear in the same location as a full user that is part of a subscribed account. However, the comment will appear as made by 'Guest user' and will appear like this:
Guest users can also subscribe to a conversation, this will send them notifications to their registered email address whenever someone replies to that conversation. But they cannot be *@ mentioned or @ mention other users, or be assigned to an item.
Guest users can resolve their own conversations, but not those of others. Full users can resolve conversations of both guest users and full users; they also have access to the comment history.
Guest users are not able to view the comment history.
This means all unresolved *editable comments (no longer attached/showing on the item content page) or resolved comments only visible in the comment history, will not be accessible to guest users.
*@mentions: If you want to notify your colleagues of your comment, type the @ symbol on your keyboard, and then type your colleague's name. You should see a list of people you can choose from as you type.
*Editable comments only visible in the comment history: When a comment is made it is attached to a mark tag. The mark tag is the yellow highlight that you see appear on the text when you make a comment.
If that text is deleted, the comment no longer has a mark tag/yellow highlight to attach itself to. As a result, those comments will only be visible in the comment history.
Comments will only remain on the item view if it has a mark tag to hang on to. 👍
Setting “Allow content approval” will mean users who view the shareable link will have the option to approve content with a message from within the shareable link only; content approval cannot be done from within the item editor view.
Once a user has submitted their approval from within the shareable link, they will be able to “Undo approval” if they wish to revoke their approval.
When enabling content approval for an item from within the item editor, the user will have the option to set which users shared with the project should receive a notification when an approval is given and when approval is undone.
- Below is an example of how the notification email appears:
Full users with access to the item’s account can see which items have been approved in several ways:
- Users with access to the Content Hub can filter items by “Approved”
- Viewing the item from the item editor will show a check mark inside the workflow status.
- Viewing the workflow statuses for an item from within the item editor will show that the item is approved for that status as well as who gave the approval.
- Approvals are recorded within the “Recent activity” feed of a project.
- Approved items are shown on the account dashboard under each project - clicking this link will take you to the content hub, filtered by “Approved” items only.
Approvals are recorded for the workflow status the item was in at the time they were given. When an item moves workflow status approvals given in the previous workflow status are recorded, but the item becomes “Unapproved” until approval is given in its current workflow status.
How to share multiple item links together
- Open the content tab and select the items you wish to share.
- The links can be sent to existing team members and any external guest users by entering their email addresses, click the space bar after entering an email address (please note: clicking return after entering an email address will automatically close the share modal and send the item selected).
- Click 'show items' to check the item selection before sending
- To view or make changes to the permissions, set passwords and access levels of the selected links, click 'change permissions' then save settings to apply those changes
- 'Save settings' will bulk apply the changes to all selected items and overwrite any shareable link settings that have been previously applied to the items individually
Here is a 90-second gif that demonstrates how to bulk share links: