Templates are reusable structures that you can apply to multiple items; they’re very useful if you have items that share the same structure.
Looking for the legacy help documentation? You can find that here.
What is a template?
A template is a saved custom structure, which can be easily applied to other similar items at once. An example of this would be having a structure saved as a template called 'Blog Post', which contains all fields needed to capture content on a typical blog post page, or an employee bio page for staff profile pages on a new website.
Tip: Plan to migrate your content using one of our CMS integrations? All of our integrations with CMS systems work on template mappings, so we recommend saving all item structures as templates if you plan to migrate your content.
How to create a template
From the Templates tab
Tip: Can't see the Templates tab? You might not have access to the structure editor. Speak with the person who invited you to GatherContent to fix this.
1. Navigate to the Templates tab.
2. Click the 'Create New' button and add a name for the template.
3. Drag the fields that you want in this structure from the left onto the middle of the page to build up your structure.
You can re-order the fields by clicking the 6 dots at the far-right of a field and dragging and dropping it into a new position.
Customise fields with field names to reflect the content you want to collect. You can also add instructions below the field for further clarity or a word or character limit. Click the 'Settings' link underneath a field name to see this option.
4. Save the structure by clicking the 'Save template' button.
How to apply a template to an item
You can apply a template to:
Apply a template to one item
1. From within the item, click the 'No template applied' link.
2. Choose the template to apply from the dropdown.
3. Click 'Apply template'.
Apply a template to multiple items
1. From the Content tab, select the checkboxes next to the items you want to apply the template to.
2. From the Actions dropdown button that appears, select 'Apply a Template'.
3. Choose the template from the dropdown list and click 'Apply Template'.
Tip: When you update a template, the changes you make will affect all items using that template. This makes it really easy to manage large numbers of items.