This article is for the legacy content editor.
Word and character limits are really helpful to inform your content writers how much (or how little) content that should be added to a field. You can add a word or character limit to any text field as part of the structure or template that is applied to an item.
Add a word or character limit to a field
1. Go into the template or structure that you want to add a character or word limit to. You can get here in two ways:
- Directly clicking the template name from the templates tab
- From within the item itself, by clicking the name of the template currently applied, and then 'Edit this Template or Structure'
2. Once in template/structure edit mode, locate the field you want to add the limit to.
3. At the bottom-right of the field, choose the unit (word or character) and enter the limit number into the box.
4. Save the template or structure, and you're done!
#1: When limits are in place for a field, they won't stop you from entering or saving content. They will just highlight that the limit for that field has been exceeded, so you can review it.
#2: You can see the total word count of an item from the Settings tab of the item.