This article is for the new version of the structure editor.
An item can have a 'custom structure', which exists only on that item, or the item can have a template applied to it. A template is a saved custom structure, which can be easily applied to other similar items at once.
An example of this would be having a structure saved as a template called 'Blog Post', which contains all fields needed to capture content on a typical blog post page, or an employee bio page for staff profile pages on a new website.
How to edit the structure of an item
You can edit the structure of an item or template applied to an item two ways:
From an item
1. Open the item that has either a 'custom structure' or template already applied.
2. From within the item, select the current structure:
- For a custom structure, click the 'No template applied' link and then 'Edit the structure'.
- For a template, click the template name link and then 'Edit template'.
3. You're now in the structure editor. Update the structure or template as you wish.
Changing the order of the fields, adding new fields, updating instructions for fields and editing field names are some of the common actions you might want to do.
Warning: If you remove any fields on the structure or template that currently hold content on ANY items with this structure applied, the content will be removed when you click 'Save'.
4. Save the structure or template by clicking the 'Save structure/template' button.
From the Templates tab
1. Navigate to the Templates tab.
2. Click the template that you would like to edit.
3. You're now in the structure editor so can update the template as you wish.
Changing the order of the fields, adding new fields, updating instructions for fields, editing field names and re-naming the template are some of the common actions you might want to do.
Warning: If you remove any fields on the template that currently hold content on ANY items with this template applied, the content will be removed when you click 'Save'.
4. Save the template by clicking the 'Save template' button.
Disconnecting a template from an item
If you have a template that needs to be slightly different for one item, you can disconnect the template and convert it to a custom structure. This allows you to tweak the template structure, without it affecting all the original template.
An example of this could be if you're working with staff bios, and the CEO's page needs additional fields, you could disconnect a template and add these in.
1. Click on the template name link and click 'Disconnect'.
Tip: This link will only appear if you have permission to edit templates.
2. You've just disconnected this item from the original template, but it's kept it's structure and the content. Now you can follow these steps to edit the custom structure.
Example templates are added to your project by default based on the project type that you select when you create the project. These are a great way to see how other people have used GatherContent for the same type of content.
You can also use the example templates for your own project, or edit or delete them if you choose to.